Friday, January 27, 2017

Farewell Bear Facts Xinzhou

Farewell Bear Facts Xinzhou


More on Xinzhou here.

You remember how, way back in the Cremona bear facts, I said that we would come to the most difficult to write episode of all eventually? Well... welcome to Xinzhou. Xinzhou was an absolute nightmare to write, or rather to rewrite, culminating in a marathon 36 hour rewriting session through the night up to the very morning of the recording, during which heroic producer David got a sleeping bag sent to him from home so he could sleep in the Pozzitive office while I wrote, and also … the thing for which he has never quite forgiven me… was forced to eat a sandwich from Subway.

There were three main things that made it so hard. Firstly, it was another bottle episode, like Fitton and Limerick, which as Ive said elsewhere I find the hardest to write. Secondly, separately it also had quite a lot of hard work to do getting all the characters set up for Yverdon, and restating the stakes: Martin cannot go on as he is at MJN. But MJN cannot continue without Martin. Eventually, the way I found to do this without having everyone just sit around telling each other things they already know, was to put the focus on Douglas. And indeed, in a quiet way, this is an episode all about Douglas - the others all have fairly basic Wants about getting to sleep or fixing the plane; but its Douglas who goes on an important journey from discouraging Martin from leaving, so as to save his own job; to realising its his duty to encourage him. And, of course, to fix everyones problems by doing something clever… by finally making Martin give him his hat.

The third problem, though, was entirely my own fault. Once I got the stuck on Gerti overnight idea, I initially thought this would be more like Limerick - constantly flicking between various games and conversations as they tried to keep themselves amused. And I had a lot of ideas in my various notebooks and early drafts of other episodes for games and stupid how many otter… style conversations that Id never used. So why not, I thought to myself, gather them all together, and make an episode out of them? Because, I ought to have immediately answered myself, whilst kicking myself hard for even asking such a stupid question, that NEVER WORKS. On two other non-CP-related occasions Ive tried to write something by assembling various bits cut from other shows or drafts and trying to stitch them together into a sort of Frankensteins monster, and on both occasions its gone about as well as it went for Dr. Frankenstein. And the same thing happened this time. The bits had been written at different times, they had subtly different moods, they involved different stages of the characters (Series 2 non-Arthur characters, as Ive been saying a lot in these posts, do not act the same way as series 4 characters) , and no matter how I tried to rewrite and finesse them, it didnt work. It wasnt like an episode of Cabin Pressure  - it was like one of those clip show episodes US sitcoms sometimes do.  So, after a crisis meeting with producer David… I threw out almost everything, and started again. Hence the mad scramble to the very brink of the deadline, and beyond, as I ran quite chronically out of time. So… you can imagine how delighted I am that when a fan site did a poll, Xinzhou was voted their favourite episode of series 4 - and I know a lot of people have it as their favourite overall. Believe me, that did not seem a likely scenario at 5am on January 6th 2013...

DELETED (OR I THINK AMENDED, TECHNICALLY) SCENE



DOUGLAS                  I’m sorry you’ll miss your date, Martin.


MARTIN                       It wasn’t a date.


CAROLYN                   Did you have a date?


MARTIN                       No.


DOUGLAS                  Yes.


CAROLYN                   Well, who with? Tell all!


MARTIN                       There’s nothing to tell. She’s very nice, but… our jobs are too different, and we live too far away, and it’ll never work, so…


CAROLYN                   Oh dear. Where does she live?


MARTIN                       Vaduz.


CAROLYN                   Oh, in Lichtenstein? Did you meet her when you picked up that awful Princess?


MARTIN                       …Yes I did.


CAROLYN                   And what does she do?


MARTIN                       She’s… er…


DOUGLAS                  She’s in management, didn’t you tell me, Martin?


MARTIN                       …Yes. She’s a manager. She’s quite high up.


CAROLYN                   What company?


MARTIN                       …I can’t really tell you.


DOUGLAS                  But put it this way, it has the turnover of a small country.

Available link for download